Yesterday we were at my niece's wedding. They were married in a beautiful old church, and the wedding reception was well organized, the food was excellent and naturally the bride and groom were beautiful and everyone was happy.
Finally I can reveal two secret projects I have been working on. The first one was finished already in July, a holder for the vintage table silver my mother gave them as a wedding present.
Here are the knives and forks in the big roll, and the spoons and cake forks in the small one.
My August project was a lap size quilt for the young couple. I used 13 fabric napkins my big sister P brought me when she was helping me to organize my stash. They were not counted as "bought fabrics", naturally, because I was just helping her to clear her cupboards. I loved the napkins and wanted to use them for a quilt some day. Look, they are just bursting with my favourite cheerful browns and greens.
Sewing the blocks caused be some grey hair, because I had just barely the necessary amount of the green fabric (my old skirt). Naturally I managed to sew 10 blocks with the green square in the wrong corners. Because the fabric is striped, I could not use the ripped-off triangles again. To save fabric, I cut the new triangles from bigger squares with no waste bits. Guess how many I cut along the wrong diagonal? Just two, but I only needed to use one triangle in the wrong way.
The green and brown strips make a trellis for the flower print. The size of the squares was calculated so that I could make 4 big squares or 16 small ones from one napkin. This is when I made the quilt sandwich with safety pins.
Machine stitched around the floral print.
The finest label I have ever made. The border is made of the leftover border strips of the napkins, and the appliquéd heart is of this quilt's border fabric.
Every bit was from my stash, well, I bought the lining last month for this project, but everything else has been there just lying and waiting to be used.
In August I only bought one scrap bag of Marimekko fabrics, strips from 8 cm to 45 cm, total amount 1.75 m. All I finished this month was the quilt, 4.9 m of fabrics. A very positive month for stash use this time!