Wednesday 21 December 2011

Girly time with daughter

On Monday I had a lovely time visiting my DD Kaija in her new home town for the first time.


As you can see, they have had some snow but the rains have taken it away. Luckily, it was not bone breaking slippery!

Kaija met me at the railway station and we had some mid-morning tea after my 3 hour train trip. Then she showed me the window display of the Craft Museum of Finland, as the Museum itself was closed on a Monday.


About 20 doll making artists had put together this scene from the President's Independence Day Reception. Imaginary, as they show a doll of our late President Kekkonen too, or maybe it is his ghost! The dolls were about 15" tall.


The cakes looked delicious:


There was a knitted graffiti on the door handle; a nice touch as long as it is not wet.


After spending some time at her home and seeing all her beautiful match boxes and other things, and exchanging Christmas presents, we went out for lunch and some shopping. Lucky girl, she has several second-hand bookstores (I bought just one book) within reach, more than one fabric shop (yes, I bought 4 metres of new fabric) and many other interesting places (yes, I bought some yarn too, and a lipstick).


Then it was time for me to thank Kaija for a lovely day and leave after a last cup of tea and gingerbread.

I hope you will have a chance to spend some time with all your loved ones at Christmas time.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with your DD. Enjoyed your pictures. It was interesting see the period dresses on the dolls. Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading this post, I was distracted by the beauties of your daughter's match boxes. I can imagine you spent quite some time admiring them!
    How lovely to have spent your Monday with Kaija!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you both enjoyed the time together. It shows through in your words.
    Kaija's work is amazing. I've been visiting her posts.
    Until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dolls are amazing and so life-like. I love browsing second hand book shops. I'm sure it was difficult to leave after a very special day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Ulla and so happy you got to spend some time with your DD. Thanks for sharing your visit with us through the wonderful pictures. Many hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect day! I sure would have loved to see the doll exhibition too, even through a window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounded like a perfect day. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice you could spend a day with your daughter, Ulla! I love the knit door handle, and the museum display - I wish you could have gone inside!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a lovely day exploring a new place. What an amazing doll display. Maybe you will be able to see it on another visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice posted pics. I enjoy staying at your blog really not a waste of time. Great work keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi