Sunday 26 May 2013

Still Rowing Strong

My computer connects me again normally, and I have sewn my two rows of The Bee in my Bonnet Row-along I'm making at my own pace. The new rows are Winter Stars and Houses.
 
 
This red one looks a little like our house. Just a little!

 
With the help of friends, Nina Lise and Melanie, I got the patterns for last week's rows before my computer was co-operating. You have seen the Autumn Leaves already, here together with the new Mittens:

 
Ten down, three to go, and of course borders, backing and label.
 
It is time for the first harvest already! The rhubarb is growing fast, and I made us a dessert

 
with some raspberries from the freezer. Strawberries would have been better, but I only had raspberries and bilberries. This desert is typical for our corner of the world, maybe a bit old fashioned nowadays, but just wonderfully refreshing on a hot day. It is like a thick berry soup, served cold with sugar and maybe whipped cream or ice cream.

 
The lilies of the valley are blooming! When I was very very young, I had a deodorant spray that smelled of these flowers and the text on the bottle was Muguet, so fine in French. Another popular scent was Apple Blossom, for some reason in English.
 
 
I picked a bunch, and they smell so lovely every time I walk by.



What is your favourite flower scent?

Edit: naturally the rhubarb is a dessert with double s., like my observant daughter kindly helped me notice.

9 comments:

  1. Hallo Ulla, es scheint als wäre der Frühling weg von uns nach Finnland gezogen (wir haben um die 5°, es regnet wie schon seit Wochen). So schön, dass du auch bereits Rhabarber ernten kannst. Ich liebe ihn und backe gerne Kuchen damit. Die Maiglöcken sind meine Lieblingsblumen im Frühling, des Duftes wegen!! Du arbeitest an einem sehr schönen Projekt, das sehr zeitaufwändig scheint. Bin gespannt wie es am Schluss aussieht. Ich wünsche dir weiterhin schöne, milde Frühlingstage und grüsse dich herzlich
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought of was your red house when I saw the houses, Ulla! The rows are just adorable! Your rhubarb looks amazing as does the dessert! Such a refreshing Lily of the Valley in a beautiful vase! I love the scent of roses and Japanese Iris!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your row along, Ulla, especially the autumn leaves!
    I remember rhubarb desserts like yours... and my Grandma's rhubarb pie. Rhubarb doesn't grow here in CA, it's too hot and dry, I guess.
    Love Lilies of the Valley! I wanted them in my wedding bouquet, but they were out of season in August.
    Love your blog.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mittens turned out great, and the leaves too! I too had a grandma that made rhubarb desserts like yours (we call it a kompott) and pies. It's been a long time since I have had rhubarb other than the raw ones dipped in a cup with sugar.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruit soup is refreshing. I've made cantaloupe soup in the past. Your row by row is coming along very nicely. I love that you have a house representing your actual house. Favor flower scent -- I love freesia but right now the lilacs are in bloom and are Heavenly. When living in California I loved the scent of orange blossoms. In Hawaii it was ginger and plumeria. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The row by row is looking good. There's a lot of stitching with all those small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. äiti älä aavikoita tee, tee jälkkäreitä :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I should go our and look at my rhubarb. Perhaps I should pick some too. My mother liked lily of the valley and I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that it is her birth month flower. Anyway, I bought her a roll on scent - Muguet de bois. It was heavenly. I brought some in from my garden too and some lilacs. I don't know which one I like better.
    You row along is slowly getting done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you found the mitten pattern they and the houses are great additions to your quilt.
    It must be spring lilies of the valley and stewed rhubarb were both part of my youth as a child.
    Nice memories

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi