Wednesday 28 May 2014

New bag and some new "rags"

Last night I finished my new Summer bag. The pattern is Caity Did by Loft Creations. I made it mine with some alterations to the original.
 
 
First, I need to wear the strap across my body because I have a rotten shoulder, and lifting it to keep the bag in place makes it much worse. Instead of two handle straps I made one long and adjustable shoulder strap.
 


On the inside, I prefer to keep my wallet and keys in a zippered pocket, so I made one. If you don't know how to make it, go and look at my tutorial here.

 
On the other side I added a small pocket for my phone. There is a piece of elastic band coming from the lining to the pocket front, to make sure the phone doesn't glide out if the bag is not upright.


Back side of my new bag. The fabric is a treasure from the 1960's. It used to be a sleeveless top my mother made for me, with matching shorts. It was hardly worn at all, the fabric is like new, and I was wondering why because I know I really liked this fabric even back them. When I was ripping the seams open I remembered: The fabric is not only by a famous designer, Marjatta Metsovaara, but it was designed for curtains or tablecloths, and my top was not only stiff and uncomfortable but also too hot.

 
As I was going wild with the customizing changes on the pattern, I decided to make the bag perfect for my needs with a very little change: Instead of a 1½" box pleat I made a 2" box pleat. I don't need a slim flat bag to carry papers and a magazine, I need a roomy bag that can take my book and my camera, sometimes my knitting project (balls of yarn are never flat!),  maybe a cardigan or a hat, and not look too stuffed. Clever solution, wasn't it?
 
 
If you are planning to make a new bag for the Summer, I have a great hint: Stephanie will be selling her 9 $ Loft Creations PDF patterns for 4 $ each from the 1st of June, permanently. Look here, and you will see how the original Caity Did bag looks.
 
I promised you rags as well:
 
 
Dish cloths used to be old rags before they were replaced by pretty knitted or crocheted cloths. Now these are popular again, and I have knitted and crocheted many, many of them. From top, a bamboo/cotton blend, multi-coloured Cream and Sugar cotton, and a microfiber acrylic yarn, to test if it is any good. After a few times in the washing machine the quality of these cloths is even better than before. We have been watching the Giro d'Italia, and a nice dishcloth knitting is just the perfect project for it.

11 comments:

  1. This is what I love about pattern design -- when someone personalizes it to suit their needs/style. If only I knew how to write zippers into a pattern! But that is always an option for those who can add them. I really like the adjustable strap idea as well. I just love the upcycled fabric.

    I think knitted and crocheted dishcloths are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh - what's old is new again! Had you not explained where the fabric orginated, I would have thought it was a new designer! It's so gorgeous, Ulla! I love all your custom work, too! Having the little elastic strap for the phone is quite clever! Your dishcloths are so pretty they look like they could be doily's!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bag fabric bring back some memories. I had similar fabric that I made into bell bottom hip huggers and a matching bell sleeve top. Your fabric looks perfect for spring/summer. Glad your dish cloths are useful - but what is the Italian program?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hieno kesälaukku, kangas aivan ihana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how I love that bag, the fabric is gorgeous and the color is perfect for summer. You made some awesome changes and all very clever. Your dishrags are pretty too. I've always used the cream and sugar cotton, and never tried a bamboo and cotton blend. I need to try that. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great bag Ulla and I love how you sewed some memories into it with the vintage fabric.
    Lovely wash cloths too.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a bag that fufills all your personal requirements is great,. Your adaptations are well thought out and nicely done.
    The race is during the night here so not as many watch but my SNL will tape it. The dish cloth pattern is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric fits wonderful the pattern of the bad, a real eyecatchr. Bet you will habe a lot of comments about your bad as you will wear it. great project.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful way to make something with good memories into something you can get more memories from. It is great how you have tailored the design to suit your specific needs. I hope you smile each time you use it instead of needing to walk like Quasimodo with a hunched up shoulder and a shop bought bag.

    Snap! I too have been making cotton dishcloths! I got some balls in a charity shop when in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the best with you sholder,Ulla! Lovely bag suitable for the summer, and thanks for the info :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Einen sehr hübschen Stoff hast du ausgewählt für deine praktische Tasche. So fröhlich und sommerlich. Ein perfektes Accessoire für den Ausgang. Liebe Grüsse und frohe und schöne Pfingsttage.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi