Saturday 17 February 2018

Winter sports

Today is a sunny, snowy day, perfect for the traditional school winter break which started this weekend in Southern Finland. When I was a schoolgirl, it was called ski holiday, and the main purpose was to get the children spend lots of  time outdoors in the snow, skiing or ice skating with  their sisters and brothers and friends and getting rosy cheeks and good appetite. Now it seems that many families book a holiday in some distant sunny place instead. I was asked to knit new ski socks and mittens for the growing grandnieces who are coming to Finland for their Easter break. They will fly to Lapland where the ski season is at its best then.

Young Miss Purple's set is finished.


The hat is one of the chemo caps I have knitted, 50/50 cotton and wool, and here just completing the picture.



My niece will also get a pair of socks, just a basic pair.


Here is the other chemo cap, in a smocked butterfly pattern.


Miss Yellow's socks are finished and I'm knitting her mittens now.

Skiing is no longer my thing, sliding downhill on a piece of plastic would end in a disaster, but a little walk in the fresh air with the sun in my face feels great. I can still enjoy watching younger people having ski holiday fun, and I could even drink a cup of hot chocolate after my walk. Others can do the sporty bits!


2 comments:

  1. Lucky grandnieces to get custom handmade goodness. Today it seems too many kids prefer heads down and staring into their iPhones with plugs in their ears. Enjoying the outdoors is so important. Hope you enjoyed some hot chocolate. I love your snow people in their knit wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL loved the photo of your lovely knitting on the snow stick man...
    Oh how wonderful to be able to spend time in the snow. Folks don't know what they are missing...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi