As I mentioned earlier, I was having problems with my mystery quilt dimensions. For a slim, tall man I wanted the quilt to be clearly longer than it was wide, and Kaaren's design kept the difference at 4" only. Therefore I decided to add my own row to both ends, and a 1" solid border to frame it.
I had enough 2" squares in my sorted scraps, so I made 4-patches in blues and reds with white.
After adding another thin brown border all around it was time to use the French Braid snake. It was just the required length +3"!
For the 4 ½" cornerstones I designed a tree block, and finally added a 3" border in the same blue fabric as in the cornerstones around the houses.
I'm pleased with the size of the quilt now, and therefore I'm not going to add the 6½" final border with Prairie Points but stopping here.
I delivered the baby hats this week, and now my evening project has been knitting these just so,
and these for two little very well behaving boys
who are grandchildren to my big brother. He had a big birthday party and I gave him this Bear Paw quilt you already know from my exhibition last Spring. On his fishing trips to Alaska he has seen bears, so I thought the pattern would be perfect for him. Not to mention that I wanted to make some bear paw blocks.
This has been a good Autumn, with not too much rain and some really wonderful sunny days, like this two weeks ago
but now the same trees have shed most of their leaves, and we are having real frost of -5C on clear nights.
These trees are aspens, the birches are almost bare already. All flowers have been cut down, Ericas replace them for the winter.