Tuesday 26 July 2016

Stitched, appliquéd and pieced blocks, washcloths, mittens and some new socks

 A week ago I made a short visit to England, but after that I have been busy trying to catch up with the Splendid Sampler blocks. They publish two new blocks every week so it is easy to fall behind. Basic pieced blocks are a nice way to make the to do -list shorter:


The stitched blocks are a welcome change to my TV knitting, I can stitch while watching something not too demanding, like the Tour de France was.


Schools begin in a few weeks, and the shops are full of colourful bags, notebooks and my special love, pencils and crayons. This block is paper-pieced, without the nerve-wracking tiny bits that have three times as much seam allowance as there is visible fabric on the right side.


I mean this kind of paper-piecing, it is not for me:



We have some strawberries growing in the flowerbed, so small that they almost look and taste like the wild ones.


I try to keep my fabric selection limited, so my squirrel's tree has autumn colours already.


I have made some of the bonus blocks so I can skip the regular blocks I don't fancy doing. Here is a happy one with summer feeling:


This summer and especially during the three week Tour de France I faithfully watch with Mr K. (even when I have never ridden a bicycle myself in my whole long life), I have finished quite many yarn projects. First I refreshed my memory by crocheting a washcloth in Bavarian crochet, and then I thought I will learn something new, the Moss stitch. Well, it turned out to be something I had done before, just didn't know the name.



Bedsocks in olive  green merino wool, red socks with cables, and a small pair of basic socks using up a rest of self striping yarn, added with stripes in an off-white yarn of the same brand.


Then I knitted some mittens for a change, pink ones in a child size and yet another pair of Aino'S mittens in Finnish sheep wool in white, like Aino Sibelius would have knitted them.


At some point I wanted to try another new to me stitch and knitted these potholder/dishcloths in Cream 'n Sugar. The colour reminds me of milk chocolate with raspberry filling.



There it is, a post as long as the title.


4 comments:

  1. Kauniita blokkia, tulee kiva peitto! Ahkera olet ollut, sukkia ja kaikkea olet kerinnyt tehdä:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All such lovely projects :-)
    Oh, I am so glad I am not the only who has never cycled! LOL
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning my sweet friend, you are one busy lady and I love all the great work you do. It is always great to hear of your travels. Have a beautiful day. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness Ulla you've accomplished so much. The milk chocolate and raspberry so delicious. Oh that intricate paper piecing might have my pulling out my hair. The appliqué blocks are all so sweet. That squirrel and his button flower is so charming and your pumpkin with the strawberry have me longing for Autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi