Thursday 5 April 2018

Spring colours in snow, and some nalbinding news

On Easter Monday we had a snowfall that lasted all day. Nothing fancy, just tiny flakes or larger ones, slowly or with a wind, but by the evening we had about 20 cm new, fresh snow covering the dirty old, melting snow. The next day was sunny and lovely, so I took my newest fingerless mittens and other knittings out for a photo shoot.


From the rest yarns of the mittens I knitted some baby hats for a charity.


Then I made a group photo of the yellowish chemo therapy caps. I used the last remnants together with a light grey yarn for a striped beanie.



My nalbinding has taken a leap since my last posting, with the simple chain of stitches. I tried the Finnish stitch, well, naturally, because I am Finnish. I was right thinking that it would be easy to learn after having practiced the Oslo stitch. I didn't care about the odd big loops left from the starting stitches, nor about the Oops! stitches where I missed a loop or picked one too many, nor the lumpy joints of yarn. I just tried to get a feeling to the movements of my hands. It was easier to make new stitches when there was something to hold onto, unlike the floppy tail of loose single stitches.


With this technique you don't work from a ball of yarn but thread a needle with a suitable length of yarn and when you have almost used it up, you felt the end of the new yarn to it. This little pouch is hardly good for anything, but it has given me tremendous courage to start a proper project. I like the texture, and there is stretch in both directions.


On the right you can see my new nalbinding needle. My dear Mr K. made it for me just this week! He is building a bamboo fly fishing rod and used bamboo to make this for me. It is glued together of two slivers so the smooth enamel surface is on both sides.

Here you can see the amount of snow we had on April 1st! Mr K. shoveled just a track for the car.





4 comments:

  1. Nalbinding makes an interesting stitch. Love the color of your yarn.
    We are still getting snow, too. Supposed to get some more this weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handy Mr. K! The nalbinding looks interesting and a bit complicated. You're a very skilled knitter so I can't wait to see the project you come up with to make with the new technique. Your projects all look so pretty against the clean snow. You're also a very generous knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy, Ulla! Your hats a beautiful! And so is your adventure into nalebinding! I'm very glad to be along on this nalebinding journey with you and Melanie! I'm very impressed with the bag/pouch you've made with the technique. And LOVELY the bamboo needle your husband made for you--very clever man!! :) I have yet to make anything real with the nalebinding, but am thinking of a kind of small bag too. This craft of nalebinding has been hard to grasp sometimes, making it slower to enjoy, but hopefully will get there! Happy Days :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your photo shoots in the snow. Lovely mittens and cute beanies...
    Your doing well with the nailbinding... Mr K has made you a great new needle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi