Sunday 18 August 2019

Patched patchwork and new socks

A couple of years after my father died I made a light quilt for my mother, using father's old suit shirts. It looked like this, very light, but with a flannel backing warm like a hug for mother's little naps.


I took it back after my mother, and now after years of use it looks sad like this:



This one shirt seems to be more delicate than any other.


I read about repairing old quilts here , and decided it was time to save the quilt. I still had the last rest bits of the shirt collection in a box, so it was easy to pick new strips and hand sew them in place.


The new strip is grey, and I did the machine quilting on it the way it was before.

The weather is cooling down (and warming up again, like today), so I took out my sock yarns and bought some new ones, and started knitting for the Winter.


I really like this simple pattern with vertical stripes, used my muted colors and favorite heel together with the tubular cast-on. It makes the top edge look very professional!


After two pairs in the heavy yarn I picked a lighter one, and a brighter color, and finished this pair yesterday. The pattern is a simple knit 4 purl 2, moved two stitches forward after every four rows, and it looks like a cable pattern which I'm not very good at. Fake cables!


Today I'm trying to decide whether to knit another pair with this yarn and a different pattern, or to pick some other yarn or two. One color is tempting, it is so easy...

6 comments:

  1. Sew good you could repair the much loved Quilt...
    Lots of great warm socks.. look forward to see which colour you knit next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyllä tuo peitto kannatti korjata. Muistoja ja lämpöä se on varastoinut ja niitä voi aina tarvittaessa ottaa tuosta kauniista käsityöstä.
    Sukkia aina tarvii. Ostin uudet kengät ja ne tarttis nyt ihan välttämättä omat kauniit sukkansa mutta mikä malli, mikä lanka yms. ja se neuleaika . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alkuun siinä oli jotenkin isän tuoksukin, kun niitä paitoja leikkelin.
      Maailma tuntuu olevan ihania sukkamalleja tulvillaan, mutta käytännöllisyys kyllä niistä karsii monet pois. Lykkyä tykö mallin ja langan metsästykseen.

      Delete
  3. Kannatti korjata vanha peitto ja se jatkoaikaa, hienot muistot siina. Kauniita sukkia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olen sitä sukupolvea, joka on vielä tottunut korjaamaan! Jatkoaikaa peitolle toivon ainakin niin pitkään kuin minä sitä olen käyttämässä ja pesemässä.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful idea, to make a quilt for your mum from your dad's shirts!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi