This week we have had heaps of new snow, but also the first thawing days. When the snow is wet, you can build a snowman. It's been about 20 years since I last made a snowman, so I made just a little one. I didn't have any coal for the eyes and mouth, so I used old leaves. He has twigs for arms, you just can't see them too well because there are dark trees in the background. He is standing on the lid of our composter to have a good look over the yard. By the way, when I was shovelling my path there I saw something big and dark move between the trees, about 30 metres from me. It was an elk! They live a very quiet life in the forest and I have never seen one here before. Too bad it was gone by the time I got my camera, so all I can show is the snowman.
I had an unexpected problem with the snowman in my Block 2 of Scandinavian Christmas. Today I was cutting the churn dash block pieces to finish this BOM and thought I could trim the stitchery to size as well. Finished size should be 15½" x 12½", the fabric was cut bigger to make the stitching easier. Arrgh!!! Look at this:
I had cut all four background fabrics at the same time, two horizontal ones and two vertical. When I started working on this one, I just tested that I could place the pattern on it. Well, it would have been even more OK for the next block. Here I should have used one of the 16½" x 13½" pieces instead of the 16½" x 10½". Luckily there was some of the original linen left so I can start all over again. I will use this block to something else. So Ladies of the group, Block 2 will be finished later than by the end of February!