Tuesday 12 January 2021

Anyone still there? ...

It has been such a long time, and much has happened since September and my last post here.  We have moved, and this is how my sewing room is now arranged:



Not quite finished yet. No place for every item just yet. But I have been going through my belongings, binned an amazing amount of ancient textiles and saved another amazing amount of textiles. I have found trash, and I have found treasures, like this lonely mitten, 


all felted in snow and sweaty fingers, with a hole showing how much it has been used. Why on earth is this a treasure? Because it was knitted by my Grandmother, and I have saved this years and years back when I was still living with my parents. I knew some day I would want to knit mittens like she did, warm and comfortable. Her patterns were not from magazines, and I have only found one of them on a Finnish knitting blog, written down as a traditional pattern. 

With a sewing room in a chaos like that, I have spent time elsewhere with yarn and needles, and so I tested and tried out stitches and found out how Grandmother had knitted that mitten.


It is a lot like this other pattern she used much, but over two stitches where as the second pattern has a repeat of four stitches.


I decided to knit a sample of that pattern too for my knitting pattern archive.


And then there is Grandmother's third favorite, extravagantly in three  colors. This is the only pattern she knitted in the round, and again the reason must be that she didn't like to purl!

 

Knitting in the round makes my little sample is so narrow, with the same number of stitches as the other samples.


All these patterns look more complicated than they are, because they only use one color at a time, and the slip stitches make the mitten close-knit and warm. Not even tiny fingers will poke through stitches here!

Naturally I needed to test my newly found pattern, and here is the result:


Settling in our new home in an old house is still a learning experience. We get exercise while learning the new places of our pots and pans and plates, or going through the cardboard boxes when looking for something not yet unpacked. I hope to find more time for reading blogs and posting on my own as well. Take care, stay safe.

3 comments:

  1. I did wonder when you would be moving. New location, new neighbours, new shops. There's a lot to learn. I hope you're warm and cozy and that things work out. Your new sewing room looks like there's a lot of space for all your creativity. I am still in England but will return home next week. Staying safe in the meantime and going to have a Covid test in order to board the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered where you were....
    big job moving and organising your new home...
    Such interesting stitches you grandmother did and the sock you completed are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi