Friday 4 June 2010

String bags big and small

This is a new bag I just finished. I took a plastic bag of strings I have from a friend, the leftovers from pieces her mother had cut for quilting. I picked summery colours from the bag for ironing. There were obviously leftover scraps from making summer dresses, curtains and cushion covers.




The string blocks go all way round the bag. I used a foundation and added a thin batting. 



I measured the string blocks and the solid linen/cotton. Just to make sure this would qualify for Stephanie's challenge and not only my "Use your Stash", I made an inside pocket with the last strings of these colours. This picture is rotated; I don't make such narrow pockets.


Then I sewed something I felt I needed last year: a holder for my Epipen. I'm allergic to wasp stings and need to carry a ready to use adrenaline syringe with me, especially outdoors. The syringe is too long for any pocket, and I don't like to carry a handbag in the woods or garden.


This little bag holds just the syringe, and I added a catch for keys and/or phone, if I'm totally without pockets. The strap is long enough to reach from one shoulder under the other arm or behind my back. And yes, everything is from stash! I also saved the ends of the strings I cut making the blocks, they make perfect tiny squares for some future project. (This is why there is no end to my stash.)

10 comments:

  1. Great bag!!! Your epipen holder counts as a string project too. Congratulations on 2 more finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of your stash!! They are both wonderful bags. Particularly the second one... very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOur talent never ends!! I love your posts. Have a great weekend my friend. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finishes Ulla and you are very good to use for your stash. Hmm I have something to learn from you ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great projects! The bags are fabulous and really inventive. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment- It's so nice to make new blogging friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag! I carry an Epipen too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so resourceful, Ulla! I love the large bag - and your epi bag is adorable - great idea!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bag and epipen hold Ulla. So useful as well as pretty. Love those florals with the beige- so Summery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great project, the bags look very good. I've been using many scraps from my stash, but I think it will never come to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Du warst ja sehr fleissig während meiner "stillen" Zeit. Und diese Streifentasche gefällt mir SEHR gut! Ich werde mich, wenn die Gartenarbeit wieder etwas aufgeholt ist, auch wieder an die Nähmaschine setzen. Es ist seit anfangs Mai sehr viel liegen geblieben.
    Liebe Sommergrüsse,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi