Friday 23 January 2015

Blue light

On cloudy days the light here is blue. Even when I take the photos outdoors there is often not enough light. This quilt top is mostly blue, with light blue backgrounds and dark green sashings.


This picture was yesterday. Today I have spent a lot of time on my knees, and the quilt layers are now sandwiched with safety pins, just waiting to be quilted. My machine can manage a quilt of this size but not any bigger. I can quilt about an hour a day without cramps in my shoulders. I wonder why I can't keep them relaxed when I'm quilting; my shoulders just seem to seek my ears within minutes when I quilt on the machine.

Last Saturday we had a planning meeting at the Villa Cooper. The Christmas Shop was taken down, so I can only show you a view to the garden where our yarn bombing from last Summer still looks great. The renewed veranda will get a dark colour in the Spring.



We usually have small exhibitions in the closet under the stairs, sometimes collective work and sometimes from just one member. The exciting news is that my quilts have their turn in April, not just in the closet but also on the walls around it. I'm planning to borrow some quilts back from their owners, and make some new, small items to go on the shelves of the closet. Here is a picture of our Old Toys exhibitions over a year ago. As you see, quite a lot of space to fill with table runners and potholders!



11 comments:

  1. The quilt is very nice - even if you have a lack of lighting. Once it's totally finished, I hope you can take another photo showing it's true colours. How lovely that your quilts will have a wider audience. It sounds like you will be busy in the coming months making new items. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blue light is just fascinating and your bear paw quilt looks so perfectly wintery outdoors. I do the same...maybe we need a device to keep our shoulders down? :o) That is so wonderful to have your own display at Villa Cooper. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The secret is revealed. Now I know why winter scenes on Christmas cards are always so blue. The new quilt is looking perhaps listening to music while you quilt would relax you. Looking forward to your exhibition . Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new quilt is looking GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaunis peitto ja kuvan on aivan ihanan sininen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your quilt looks in the blue light. There doesn't seem to be very much snow there for this time of year, either. I know there are devices made specifically for quilters for their shoulders, but I find if I mentally just try to relax and breathe while I'm quilting, I cramp up just a little less than when I don't think about it at all. I can't wait to see your quilts hanging in Villa Cooper!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ulla, your blue quilt is devine. I know what you mean about your shoulders meeting your ears. Its amazing how hard concentration can cause such pain afterwards. It will be so exciting having all of your quilts on display in April, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Ulla,
    the bear paws quilt looks very nice, good luck with the quilting. And congratulations on your exibition in April, I know you will just find the right quilts to show.
    I sit really low infront of my machine, basically with the needle beeing right infront of my face, that way my shoulders just can not come up.
    Greetings,
    sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dein Quilt sieht wunderschön aus! Mir ergeht es wie dir mit dem Quilten....ich kann nicht lange an der Maschine sitzen ohne dass mir die Schultern und Arme schmerzen. Vielleicht verschiebe ich das Quilten aus diesem Grund immer auf später. Es warten noch einige Tops zum fertig Quilten..... Liebe Grüsse, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful quilt work Ulla. The bear paw is such a special quilt. I have the same issue with quilting with my shoulders being ear muffs. I also stretch across the work too. LOL No wonder when I go to stand thinks click and creak. :-) How exciting that you have that entire space in the Villa Cooper. Would a unicef doll make it to the display or would that be too complicated with the finances? I was wondering if it were possible to dress a pair in Sibelius era clothing to help the celebration? Maybe even another type of doll with the clothing being for sale? Ideas ideas and I'm sure you are overflowing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt work Ulla. The bear paw is such a special quilt. I have the same issue with quilting with my shoulders being ear muffs. I also stretch across the work too. LOL No wonder when I go to stand thinks click and creak. :-) How exciting that you have that entire space in the Villa Cooper. Would a unicef doll make it to the display or would that be too complicated with the finances? I was wondering if it were possible to dress a pair in Sibelius era clothing to help the celebration? Maybe even another type of doll with the clothing being for sale? Ideas ideas and I'm sure you are overflowing with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi