This winter has not felt like a real winter because of the lack of snow. Maybe that's why I have been knitting winter things like socks and mittens instead of sewing quilts. Anyway, I started sewing some scraps together in January:
and today the String Beans quilt is finally finished. This is one of Stephanie's patterns, easy to follow and accurate as always.
I needed to adjust my borders to the width of my backing and batting. Stephanie's original quilt was a lap size 52" x 62". As I made this quilt for the local nursing home, I wanted it to be comfortable for someone who likes a nap on the bed, keeping warm from neck to toe. I added 11 beans, one row for the width and another for the length. The backing is bright red flannel. I think it is shining through in this picture. I'm so glad it didn't stain the white when I washed the finished quilt this morning! Of course I had prewashed the backing separately before using it.
The binding is the same pink fabric as I used for the sashings, something from my sister's stash she generously dumped in my boxes. All the other fabrics are from my stash, recycled shirts or rest bits from old projects, and the white background comes from the edge parts of old sheets. I like to follow the tradition of making patchwork of used fabric and adding leftover scraps for spicing so nothing is wasted.