Thursday 26 March 2015

From Head to Toe - a gift to a fellow knitter

In February 2014 Dolores  mentioned a new BOM From Head to Toe - A Knitter's Gifts by Denise Russart, and it sounded interesting. Each block was only available until the next one was published, so I collected the patterns just in case. At the end of January I decided to start sewing the quilt. Only two sock blocks were pieced, all the ones with round shapes were appliqued, and the long scarf and six mittens were paper pieced.


I used my bright fabrics for a change to cheer up the dark Winter days, and because this was going to be a gift for a rainbow colour loving girl. Most of the blocks don't look like knitted items but I didn't have very many striped fabrics. I used mostly small print florals and solids.




At this stage I decided the quilt was large enough so I left out the final, wider border. I was happy to use Mr K.'s knee pads again, and about 200 safety pins.


I used two pink bed sheets for the backing and the lavender fabric from the scarf for the binding. The fringes and the mitten strings I made with a  1/4" bias maker. For the applique I used a heat and bond material and my machine's blanket stitch, so it went pretty quickly.



I managed to quilt along the sashings and around some of the shapes in the biggest blocks, but this huge quilt and my not very long arm machine didn't work together too well. The batting is polyester so it will stay in place with less quilting.


I had some very exciting days when I waited for the parcel to arrive at its destination, because a smaller package mailed at the same time reached England several days earlier. Luckily it finally arrived, and still on time for Melanie's birthday. The quilt will keep her warm when she sits knitting next winter.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift. A nice, bright quilt will certainly take some of the chill of winter away. I'm sure Melanie had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ulla,
    what a darling quilt and what a nice treat for Melanie. She will love it for sure, such a great gift.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onpa hauska peitto, niin kivat kuviot. Hieno syntymäpäivälahja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a wonderful gift for Melanie! I really like the fabrics you chose and the attention to detail, Ulla! The flying geese scarf is such a wonderful touch as well! I'm glad Mr K's kneepads are working well. Perhaps you'll get your own pair one day :>)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun pattern and a special gift. LOVE the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute quilt... love the colors. Melanie will love it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun quilt! The perfect quilt for Melanie, to keep her nice and warm (o:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paljon ihania töitä ympäri blogia! Tämäkin on hauska kuin mikä. Kauniit kankaat, jotka tosiaan muistuttaa neuletta.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi