Sunday 27 April 2014

Squares

This is the beginning of my Rona cardigan with the Rowan yarns I showed a while ago. I have been testing all colour combinations and the three different square patterns that make the biggest part of the cardigan.
 
 

These are all my favourite colours.


I still need to practice on this square to get it the same size as the others. I love the 3D flower!


This is a new project, to support the New Children's Hospital 2017 charity. Villa Cooper will have a closet full of bird theme items donated by the members of our club. The proceeds will go 100 % to the fundraising, just like the price of my Happy Scrappy Spring quilt.

 
I decided to make a low price product, a mug rug. Little birds appliquéd on linen with a heat and bond type material, and just machine stitched a couple of times around the edges with straight stitch.

 
I kept the shapes simple but noticed how easy it was to change the look by changing the wing angle

 
or playing a little with the legs to give a busy look.

 
Luckily I had an almost full reel of 20 mm bias binding to finish the edges. I made some careful measuring and sewed the bindings in loops before attaching to the square. Easy!

 
Look, there is a hint of green in the young birches!
 

11 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous colors and I also love the flower square. :o) Your cardigan may be a PIP but you'll be warm and stylish when it's all finished.

    Very sweet birds and I like the one "skipping." I find it frustrating to attach binding to small things. How clever to measure beforehand, make the "ring" and attach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have yet to see any green on our trees but it's nice to see green coming up on lawns. I think your sweater project is going to be very pretty. Those little birds are so cute and yes, it is nice to see them in different positions - even though they are made from the same shaped pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kauniita virkattuja kukkia ja mukimatot hauskoja, kiva tipu aplikaatio. Täälläkin on pian lehdet hiirenkorvalla:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cardigan is going to look amazing when you have finished. You have done so much already. Your bird mug rugs are so cute! I bet they fly off the hospital stall. :-) Isn't Spring exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I love your knitting and the colors, just beautiful. And your little birds are simply adorable. I love how you changed them up, they are just darling. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little birds they are so cute. Your sweater will be beautiful Love the flowers, you always come up with the most interesting things to do. Hope your doing well. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some lovely squares! And the fall granny squares give a very warm feeling!
    The little birds are adorable! Will have a look at the link.
    Almost all our trees are green here. And lots of them are blooming. Love this season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little birds are very cute . I hope they sell well.
    The cardigan will be wonderful when finished.I like the flowesr mingled with the traditional granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yarn is so lush and gorgeous, Ulla and the flower is perfect! Your little birdies are sure to sell out right away! I love how you gave them each a personality of their own.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wool is turning out just as attractive as it looked like it would! I love the birds! I always think that straight stitch the way you are doing it looks like drawing with the sewing machine and is very effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi