Thursday 9 October 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday 3

It's Thursday again and time to show some thingies with the Apron Queen Lisa. In her blog you find links to other blogs showing their goodies. Click the photo to get to her blog.






Exciting things can happen when you blog, and lurking readers may come to the daylight with some unexpected news. Remember this brush I showed two weeks ago in my first Vintage Thingies Thursday post:


My sister P, who lives near here, had read my post and came to visit me last Thursday after I had already written my post, so this had to wait until this week. She had something for me:




Our mother had given her the copper dustpan years ago, when I was still going to school but she was living on her own already. Mother had told her that there should be a brush to go with the dustpan, but she didn't know where it was. Well, it was somewhere, because she gave it to me all those years later. Now dear P gave me the dustpan, and the pair can live happily ever after. If I had not posted about the lonely brush neither of us would have known that we shared the set. Next week I must remember to show the copper porridge kettle I have; I received it from my mother without the lid. Just this week my brother with his wife came for a short visit to get some apples from our trees. We talked about the copper cake moulds in my kitchen and they told me that they have several copper lids on their kitchen wall. I just might get lucky again!

Back to my sister P, who is the eldest of us. She was always "a big girl" already, when I was little; we have nearly 9 years between us. When she was in the upper grades of school, they got to try painting china in the art class. I was a little girl who just learned to read, and I loved the Moomin books. She painted this Moomin plate for me, from the lovely hole book I showed earlier in my Vintage Children's Illustrations post.



The plate is Arabia, the blue stripe was on the original plate and I think the milk can is therefore blue. P told me the blue spots were just to make Moomin look a little more colourful. As a child I always thought he had caught measles on his long and dangerous way trying to find Little My. I had measles at the beginning of my very first summer holiday from school.



I ironed an old tablecloth for the background of the plate, and as it is an old one, I'll show a closer look of it as well. This is a linen cloth for a small table or a really big tray. There is the border area for cross stitch decoration. I have seen tray cloths with very decorative cross stitch monograms in this border. You can click the photos to get a closer look.



That is all for this week from the vintage department. I hope to post something about our sewing group's textile art project tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. Oh weren't you lucky to reunite that lovely copper set! Love your sister's painting - that's a very special keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW how lovely to have the dustpan and brush as a set again...
    the art nouveau design on them is gorgeous!! Love the plate you sister painted for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to reunite your brush and dustpan! Isn't it funny how things get separated like that, but aren't really -that- separated afterall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love stories like this! How great that the mystery was solved and you have a complete set to enjoy. It's nice to see sisters share graciously too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That copper set is amazing, and the story that goes with it is even better. Blogging, bringing sisters together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when something like that happens. After all this time, the set is back together. Love it. And it is so very pretty. I am sitting out on VTT this week, I did not get my post done in time….wanted to stop by and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a special memory the plate must be! lucky Ulla!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the story about the dustpan and brush being reunited. Funny how things happen that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great to reunite the dustpan and brush! My sister and I have combined collections from our parents of which we each had small parts. This way we each have 1 larger collection of similar items, cameras, toy trucks, kitchen tools, etc. making the collections more extensive and valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Ulla that is so wonderful that the set could be reunited after all those years! I am so so happy for you and the set! I love your logic with the kettle :-)

    The tablecloth is very interesting too. The central woven section is very beautiful. It reminds me I have some tiny mats which need to be cross stitched when I find them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Back together again! Woo-hoo! Too pretty to be parted :) The plate is really fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dustpan is lovely too. Wasn't it a wonderful world where something as simple and useful as a dustpan and brush were beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi