Thursday 26 March 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday 19 - Ryijy Rugs

This will be the final part of my ryijy stories, as I don't have a finished ryijy. With this post I'm also playing along with Suzanne. Click here to see who else is showing their old stuff today.





This is a close-up of a ryijy cushion cover WIP my mother has made sometime in the 1960s, I think. In my earlier post I wrote about the threads used - naturally I should have written yarns! We use one word - lanka - for both types, specifying them with a prefix for sewing (thread) and wool (yarn) .


The pattern my mother used was not Finnish but from the Swedish yarn manufacturer Marks. We have been just 200 years separated from Swedish rule, so it is obvious that we share a lot of culture and tradition with them. You can click all my pictures to see the details. The drawing shows how the knots are made and the loops are formed around a wooden "ruler".


These are the yarns from this and some other rug projects. The kit included several big needles for the different colour combinations.


This is the cover made from the kit shown above.



The reverse looks like this:


When a ryijy rug is woven on the loom, there will be some rows of ground weft between the rows of knots, to make the rug lighter and more flexible. In this modern ryijy the knots are very close together. Many shades of yarn are knotted together, and the length of the yarns varies to give the textile surface more structure.


There was another cushion cover waiting for the final touch by me. From reverse:


And the right side:



If you are new here or just came for the Vintage Thingies and this history made you curious, I have just posted here about a book I received. The book covers a collection of Finnish ryijy rugs over a period of 270 years.
Then click the link at the top of this post to see who else is feeling vintage today. The link list was long already when I joined today!

20 comments:

  1. What great history this is. I know very little of these rugs but have seen them in pictures. Thank you for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting, I'd never heard of a ryijy rug. But I will be looking at you book. Thanks for sharing. And lol...yep, I've learned that dusting is a bad habit....
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very educational today! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty rug. This reminds me of our HOOKED rugs...
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of these rugs before, so found your post very interesting. Always nice to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting. looks like a lot of work to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, so interesting. I learned something new today!
    Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful rugs! They'll make lovely cushion covers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Those look like a lot of work, someone is very handy to complete a project like that. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so warm & comfy & cheerful too & with snow on the ground here in Colorado I could use some thing cozy!
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors used are just beautiful.
    What wonderful cushion covers..I love them. Happy VTT..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wicked job! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful. I've never heard of the art. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Ulla, thanks for sharing this tradition. The ryijy rug textures look so strokable as well as being practical.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's fun to learn something new, how very informative..thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are very similar to the "hook" rug kits you can buy in hobby stores. I would say the idea was borrowed from this history! It is, of course, very elementary. Thanks for the history and those a very nice rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like the above commentor, I thought this was the hook rugs like my grandmother used to make. This looks much more difficult and how interesting. I've never heard of it before; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spacify has a collection of modern rugs with an array of modern designs. Each has its own great look that will find a way to enhance your home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are learning so much from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi