Thursday 9 April 2009

Vintage Thingies 21 - Tray Mats

Today is The day again, time to show and tell about our vintage thingies. If you have something old and nice you could show, click here and link your blog to the list Suzanne is hosting every Thursday. Even if you don't intend to join in, her blog is worth seeing. Suzanne is showing some real vintage treasures from the dump! Very inspiring.




My vintage treasures are once again textiles from my family. This tray mat is originally from my great-grandmother Amanda; it is her monogram AH in the middle. They used to have big trays those days, and nice mats were sewn for them. I imagine the cups and saucers stayed better in place when there was fabric underneath.

This other tray mat is decorated with cross stitch.



Here is a detail:



I brushed the fringes after wash when they were still wet and got them all untangled and nice.
This last picture is a little doily used between the plates when they were in the cupboard. It has a stain in it, and I don't know how to try to remove it.



This was all from my cupboard this week. Go over to Coloradolady for links to lots of other blogs with vintage thingies.

19 comments:

  1. Oh what lovely pieces. I love the little round one the best. Did you see the post I did a few weeks back about removing stains from vintage linens? I think it might just take that one out....
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tray mats. Who would want to hide the doilies between stacked plates? They're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many wonderful vintage linens! This is so much fun.. that you get to bring them out and show the world. I agree with Stephanie.. they should not be hidden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful linens...thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous redwork. Now I've never heard of doilies between plates, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ulla, very nice linens and red is my favorite color besides cobalt blue. I just bought The Kitchen Linens Book and this post would fit right in it. How special that they are from your great-grandmother. My mother used to place dishes on doilies and I do the same except I use felt rounds now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely and even better with you grandmother's initials!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how pretty! I swear I have a runner that would match that perfectly...made by my great grandmother. Hand made from family is best, isnt it? :)

    Happy VTT

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great vintage stuff!! This is my first VTT and its been great fun looking at all your blogs. Very nice vintage linen!
    Have a great Easter and blessings to all
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tray mats...I love the redwork embroidery and the scalloped edge on the first one! You always have such lovely vintage linens :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how precious! I love redwork - these are outstanding pieces! Good for you to have possession of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! I love the second one. The close-up is great. The fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love the redwork. What treasures to have from your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely mat.. and precious too especially when it came from your Grandmother.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love vintage linens. Those are especially sweet since they belonged to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beautiful! I'm fond of vintage linens myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what adorable linens...gorgeous needlework :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful and special Ulla. Using rounds between plates that have gold leaf is good as it stops the unglazed bottom from scratching the surface of another. I like the way your family made such practical things so petty.

    Lovely tray liners too. Ideal for a sick person in bed who needs cheering up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi