Thursday 7 May 2009

Vintage Thingies 23 "Dresden Plate"

Thursday is here again, with everyone's vintage treasures. Suzanne is hosting this meme, this week with a theme "What Was I Thinking?". I couldn't find anything suitable for the theme, so I chose another theme I have been bumping into lately.


It is Dresden Plates. Stephanie has been sewing this lovely dresden plate quilt in greens and blues, and there was a giveaway as well, with dresden plate templates.


I have not yet tried that pattern, but last week when I cleaned my vase cabinet above the fridge, I found this:


It is a cracked porcelain plate from early 1900, with a perforated metal frame. I believe it is used under a hot coffeepot. We have a perfectly nice name for this thing in Finnish, pannunalunen, but I can't find a translation for it. :-( You must know what I mean!




Here you must click to enlarge the picture to see the connection to the Dresden plates: My plate is manufactured in Dresden, Germany.

Be sure to visit all the blogs participating this week, the list of links is here!

You are welcome to give me a translation of pannunalunen!

11 comments:

  1. I LIKE it. We do have similar items here, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you a NAME for them. Maybe a "pot coaster." No - - - I just made that up.

    We do call the cloth version a hot pad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if it's a trivet. You share the most amazing vintage thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pannu = pan
    alla = under or underneath
    Hence (for) under a pan or pot and therefore a trivet. Makes perfect sense(?)
    From www.dictionary.com comes this:
    triv·et (trĭv'ĭt)
    n.
    A metal stand with short feet, used under a hot dish on a table.
    A three-legged stand made of metal, used for supporting cooking vessels in a hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word pannunalunen and am saying it over and over again so that I'll never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what that would translate to, but that is one really unique plate. I love the colors, and from the early 1900's a well, really nice. Perfect post for VTT. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty and has a warm aged look to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your vintage plates and if it comes with cracks, so much better.. happy VTT and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.. I already see others have given their idea of the translation which was mine as well.. a Trivet. I like yours! and it does remind me of a dresden plate quilt pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I used Google translate and pannu means boiler, kettle, pot or pan and alunen means underlay or mat. So, a pot or kettle mat and we call a trivet. I use them often under hot plates and my teapot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With the beautiful art deco design I'd say this is definitely early 1900s. What a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a special plate to evocative of the era in Europe. I think it is hard to find the metal trimmed ones. I wonder if it had a coffee pot to go with it originally?

    I like the logic of the Finnish language.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi