Friday 18 April 2008

Ta-daa!



There it is! My Grandmother's garden quilt took the summers of eleven years, a long maturing period of four and a half years and finally two months of rather intensive quilting with the support of my virtual friends and my sewing group. I feel a little empty now. Yesterday was busy, I cut and sewed the bindings and finally signed the quilt. Then I put it in the washing machine, and this morning it was dry. The wadding didn't shrink as much as I was afraid it might do. The colours and the feel of the quilt are fresher now. I had storaged the blocks in a basket for the long period this quilt needed to be finished, and they were dusty. I also had marked the blocks with masking tape (not to be recommended!) and left the tapes there for several years. The stains washed away! I had already bought some acetone for stain removal, but luckily I don't need it for this.



My embroidery skills have not developed very well, but this can be read. I had to document the time spent on this quilt, although there has never before been such intensive period like this year's.
I still have to work on the hanging system, the knots in my fishing line are not totally reliable.

4 comments:

  1. Well done!! It looks amazing. You must be so proud of yourself, you should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Worth waiting eleven summers for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous masterpiece! I like how you arranged the light blocks across the center and the darker ones on the ends. Really beautiful quilting too.
    Kinda sad now though I imagine. What are you going to work on now??

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous!
    my mother handmade one of the same design for me back in the '70s - I cherish it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi