Saturday 22 March 2008

Vintage Children's Book Illustrations, Saturday

Today's illustrations are from a book from my very early childhood. It belonged to my elder sisters, I think, but it was so important to me that I could have it when I was grown up. Books in English were often cheaper or just more colourful than Finnish books at that time.



I learned to read when I was about 5 years old. Of course I read the title of this book too. It made me ask "Mouse's House, what is it, it isn't anything?" My mother had always told the story in the book in Finnish, so I couldn't understand why the text made no sense to me.




The cat looked very mean! But the special thing about this book was that some of the figures had a textile surface, like the brown dog int the cover, this black cat and the duck in the last picture.




The duck is very stylish with her handbag.
Mouse's House by Kathryn and Byron Jackson, pictures by Richard Scarry, copyright 1949 by Simon and Shuster, Inc. and Artists and Writers Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi