Tuesday 15 December 2009

The Sun is here

This is the time of the year when our days are the shortest, the sun rises around 9.20 and sets right after 3 in the afternoon. Yesterday was a lovely, sunny day with -18 degrees C (-0.4 F), with some new snow to make the ground look white and nice. This is how high the sun was at noon:

 

This is my shadow, as short as it can get at this time of the year, shoes not included:




Today is a little colder, but the temperatures are rising towards the end of the week, only by a few degrees. It looks like we are going to have a white Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. My shadom tunret out just as long when I went ofr a walk this Sunday (for real: a sun-day). It's really fun to see how long we can be :-)

    ps. I do like your december-blogging! Read it every day you blog, but am not that great at leaving comments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love both photos. It's warmed up a bit here but will get colder. I am hoping for a white Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering where that sun got to!! Glad it got to you! You need it more than I do!! Loved your pictures!! Very beautiful but cold!! My two daughters live in Calgary and they said on the phone last night that it was -37C and windy!! YIKES! Take care and enjoy the snow!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope the snow stays until Christmas. We have not yet had a substantial dump of snow. It's a high of 3C today and the last two days were 4C. I'm just waiting for all the whiteness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! You could get some great shadow photos!! That is really a short day - I never realized that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautful white and bright! I like the colour of shadows on the snow- almost a Summer blue. I also like the greener blue on icebergs on TV.

    Ooo a white Christmas- so special I can almost hear Bing Crosby. :-) What a voice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Ulla. See you next Year ;-))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi